Sunday, April 03, 2005

GRATEFULL

Somedays, all I want to do is be outside! That makes it difficult when I am at work and the sun is calling me out to play. I was feeling that tug today, and was observing the little war going on in my mind. However, I begin my morning, I have 8 to 10 people to wakeup, wash up and dress up for breakfast....I walked into the first woman's room, gently touching her shoulder with a cheery goodmorning. She wakes instantly and is ready to get up, it's ingrained in her after so many years. There was just a tiny crack of sunlight coming in thru the curtains and she happily remarked, it's a beautiful day! "How do you know that?" I asked her. She said, "I can see the light coming in thru the window". And that was enough for her, no desire to go outside, just happy knowing it. And I remember to be where I am. I begin to notice all the little things around me, there is a small potted plant covered in rich purple blooms sitting on the dresser, a Cala Lily beginning to unfold into a beautiful pure white in the hallway. Now I enter my last room, and there is an arrangement of yellow Forsythia branches standing in a jar of water....this is one of the first trees to come into bloom, a sure sign of Spring! But I could smell something else very familiar which stirred my senses and my memory, and then I saw there were some long branches of a Poplar Tree tucked in with the Forsythia. Ahh, that sticky sweet fragrance of sap covered leaves filled the room, almost too pungent. I love that smell....and did I feel Gratefull for that moment!

2 Comments:

Blogger Borya said...

Hm. Wonder how fast I should push you to OL's lullabies. They work pretty good in nurseries for children. Adults like listening to them. So why not elderly people too?

4:52 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

The elderly love music, especially songs that trigger their memory. I love it when a musician comes in to play for them and they become engaged, alive. They may have hardly uttered a word or initiated a conversation for days, but when the tune of a familiar song comes on they begin to sing the words, often with tears. Some residents are more mentally fragile and need quiet soothing music, maybe the "Lullabies"? It sounds like something I would enjoy too, thanks Borya.

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home