Wednesday, April 06, 2005

AT ONE WITH MUSIC

We do not get a lot of musical entertainment here in Penticton....but it's starting. The Dream Cafe, a rather small restaurant here, has been bringing an interesting array of musicians to town. And last nite I went to see www.robertmichaels.com. The write up about him said he played guitar in the style of Ottmar Liebert and Jesse Cooke. One of his Albums recieved a Juno Award for Best Instrumental of the Year, he's Canadian born from Toronto. I enjoyed his music, he played some Santana as well and did a lively rendition of "Classical Gas". Well I brought my 16 yr old daughter, Saffron, with me. She not only loved the music but was amazed at seeing him play and watching his hands. Being a classical piano player herself, she could appreciate that! Music has always been a lovely connection we share between us, and this will be a fond memory.
When the Band took a break some music came on in the background. A familiar song by Leonard Cohen, Dance Me to the End of Love, sung by a women with a smooth jazz/blues voice. I asked the owner who it was and he instantly said "Madeleine Peyroux, and we are trying to bring her here in September." Now where did I hear that name before....

6 Comments:

Blogger Just Me said...

I read this yesterday (April 26th) & lo and behold I was in....of all places ....Starbucks today & there was Madeleine Peyroux's CD. Only 1 copy left so I bought it....delightful. Now if only I was at home with a bottle...er...glass of cabernet.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

That is too funny...it's like when you have been thinking of somebody and they call you, or you are looking for a particular book and stumble across it the very next week!! Is it coincidence? Oh, and I just happened to notice Madeleine's CD in Starbuck's a few day ago myself. I've heard a few of her songs and hope she comes here.

3:56 PM  
Blogger Adam Solomon said...

I've heard of Robert Michaels before. To compare him to Jesse Cook and (especially!) Ottmar is a bit of a stretch, definitely, but good stuff. All that kind of music is great :)

So now do 16 year old girls up in BC appreciate good music? Down here 50 Cent is at the height of popularity, though I've been able to get some Ottmar converts! :P

11:58 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Thanks for your coomments Adam! The teenagers here are like most everywhere I expect. Saffron has always had a varied taste in music since she plays both piano and flute and only likes playing classical piano! But she listens to everything, old, new alternate and whaterver She definately liked Ottmar's music and heard it playing over and over again for several weeks! And if I go to OL's performance in Spokane, she wants to go with me. I have Nouveau Flamenco and will be looking for another one soon!

5:20 PM  
Blogger Adam Solomon said...

Oh no, you only have Nouveau Flamenco! I guess Matt and Boris don't know that yet, do they? You should see the job they did on Just Me (Heather)...~sigh~ I think the poor girl's going to go broke with the Ottmar they've got her buying! On that note, you have a lot of catching up to do, it seems ;) Borrasca is the closest you'll get to NF. It's a good album, that happened to be my 2nd Ottmar album (after my mom introduced me to NF, just like you). But there are better....The Hours Between Night and Day is a perpetual classic. Innamorare and Opium are similarly amazing. And La Semana, his newest, is a must....oh man, I can't pick for you! When you feel like buying some new Ottmar, we have a whole cabal of fans to help you make that decision ;) Check out our fan forum, if you want, maybe? www.ottmarliebert.tk

Ottmar's show live is incredible, too. Definitely see it if you have a chance! Spokane's probably far, but so worth it, really. Bring the daughter, too, I'm sure she'd appreciate (I saw I think one show when I was 14, and two last year when I was 15, so age is no issue! Though I do think I was the youngest one there....). Right now I'm listening to a recording he sent me of that first show I saw. Just so incredible. The man is amazing on the albums, but live, it's just surreal. Don't miss the opportunity :)

1:56 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

You are so full of zeal and enthusiasm Adam, it's very good! Now I want to go buy them all. LOL! Borya has been very helpful and I have ordered "The Hours Between Day and Night" because of the Eastern influence. And Kiyomi's favorite "Opium" has got my curiosity going too. And now you say "Borassica". I will need to get a night job I think!

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home