Thursday, April 14, 2005

LETTING GO

I was thinking about the Buddhist philosophy of impermanence today. Everything changes, nothing stays the same. Suffering results from trying to hold on to what must change. We hold on to things for security or happiness, fearing loss, and then we become trapped in a web of attachment where loss is inevitable because nothing can remain the same! Where there is attachment there is dependencey. This makes letting go a challenge, but what are we really letting go of? This is a quote from"The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying".

"Consider, for a moment, that your hand is closed tightly around a coin. If you stretch out your arm and let go of the coin, palm down, it falls to the gound and you lose it. If you do the same thing with your palm facing up, you let it go yet it remains with you."

Letting go does not always mean having to lose something, we just lose the dependency on it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Luz said...

YOur words are hitting home tonight. I need to remember to keep my palms down so I can let go and not keep them up.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Borya said...

Again out of topic, but I looked up Penticton on a map. Coming back to your very first request, OL's playing Spokane soon. That's nearest to you. Is it still too far away? Or too complicated because you'd have to cross the border? I have no idea. Tell me.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Well I was told it could be a five or six hour drive, it's not really a problem going across the border, it can just slow things up depending on traffic. So it's very possible and I will think about it...actually Redmond sounds like a nicer place but I haven't really looked into it yet. It would be FUN!

7:26 PM  
Blogger Adam Solomon said...

You sound like you have a lot in common with Ottmar! Ever give his INjournal a read?

I'm too young and scientific to get analogies like that. I'd just respond that gravity doesn't have an effect on emotional attachment ~sigh~ I think I could use some more Buddhist wisdom, lol.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Yes, I've been reading his INJournal with great pleasure...and his diary too. Science and spirituality can seem like two opposite ends of the spectrum sometimes. If pure science and pure spirituality came together...it could be amazing!! Perfection? Maybe heaven?! We'll see. My love for truth has taken me many places in the world, to Israel in the middle east and to India in the far east. It's so interesting to read experiences that others have had on their journey.

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home