Sunday, April 24, 2005

SACRED SILENCE

It's warming up...today was somewhere in the mid twenties where I would like it to stay! My daughter and her boyfriend suggested a picnic today and that sounded good to me. We packed up some fruit(lots of strawberries), some cheese and crackers and off we went to the beach. It's still quiet here as the tourist season hasn't started yet and I love having this time to enjoy it's emptiness. It was a day to do nothing, just feel the sand with my feet and smell the lake breeze coming off the water. Saffron and Talenn were curled up quietly reading Wuthering Heights aloud to each other. I suddenly realized how busy I was for the last 3 days and I wasn't even working! So this quieting down was being met with "I should be doing something". I was remembering something I read in a book by Marianne Williamson called Everyday Grace. She talked about a pseudo-Buddhist graffito she saw once that read, "Don't just do something----sit here!" Where the ego would have us believe we should be doing something, the soul would have us remember just to" be", to quiet down and bring our energy back into ourselves towards inner peace. "Yet the most powerful life is not one in which we bring ourselves back to our center when we have spun away from it, but rather one in which we seek to live from that center at all times. A moment of sacred silence is our cosmic reset button". That silence comes with releasing the need to be "seen" or to perform or be clever and clears the way for souls to shine within, and reflect that peace back out into the world.

"....within himself man has no needs, for light needs nothing but to shine in peace and from itself, to let the rays extend in the quiet to all directions."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home