Friday, April 29, 2005

BLESSINGS

Growing old takes a lot of courage, especially when faced with dimentia and loss of independance. I admire this in the elderly. They are very spiritual in the sense that they are at the end of this journey and are very aware of it. Working in a Nursing Home is a like a practical experience of spirituality in action. For instance, imagine feeling disoriented because you can't see very well or hear what's around you, or you just don't remember where you are or how you got here, or think you are where you are but you are stuck in a memory...another time. And a stranger walks into your room and tells you it's time to get up for breakfast. Your body is stiff and sore and you don't really understand what's going, you can't remember anything, or worse, you remember and wonder why you can't go home. but are helpless and unable to do anything about it. The fear and anxiety sets in. As usual I begin my morning getting people up out of bed, and washed and dressed for breakfast, starting at 7am. I look in on one old woman and see she is confused and worried and not sure of where she is or what she ought to be doing. She's blind and has only been with us for a few months. "I thought nobody would come and I was all alone," she says in a distraught voice. "Thank you for coming". I reassure her that she is never alone and we are always here. "Are you going to look after me"? she asks. Yes sweety, I'm going to look after you. "Oh you are a beautiful girl, I love you....we've known each other a long time haven't we...." she says. Yes, a very long time, I say. At that moment the exchange feels eternal, soul to soul and I just stay still with that awareness while looking into her eyes and there is a beautiful connection. She teaches me to come from truth, she reminds me who I am. For that moment there is no separation between old or young , no male or female, no nurse and patiient, no bodily titles, no ego. And the vision keeps extending out into the world. No race, no borders, no boundaries.....the soul is unlimited, When I become aware of myself as a soul , that very thought fills me with the vibration of peace. And very few words are needed after that, in a kind of sacred silence we carry on together and get ready for the day. OM SHANTI....I the soul am peaceful.

10 Comments:

Blogger MT Callahan said...

After reading this, you have my admiration Wendy. It takes a very special person to do what you do.

3:07 PM  
Blogger Just Me said...

I agree...though she may not remember you tomorrow you have filled her moment with your kindness and in return she has affirmed your existance. She is lucky to have someone as special as you by her side.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Thank you Matt, that's very kind of you! But I feel blessed to have these experiences, it is really them who are special. There are a lot of challenges in this profession though...if you have ever been inside a nursing home you would know. I think we are all learning to find the sacred moments in everything we do nowadays, and we souls are thirsty for this in our every day lives.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

just me...thankyou for your kindness as well!

6:47 PM  
Blogger Borya said...

Often it comes down to moments (moments in time). Because quite often those elderly people have forgotton again what they were told, or what they say sometimes even a couple of minutes later. But in these moments, there's something clear happening. You look into the eyes ... dunno, it's very tender.

6:09 AM  
Blogger Luz said...

A very nice blog. Thanks 4 sharing. Like Matt, I too admire the work you do and say thank you for caring. I hope that when and if I get to be in a nursing home I have someone like you to share her soul with me. In my kind of work, I try and share my soul with my students as well.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Well put Borya, these moments are a lovely exchange. We see thru the physical eyes yet we experience through our eye of understanding, the soul. And for me, that is the truest and deepsest connection we have.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Thankyou luz! That is very sweet. I think your students are lucky to have a caring teacher like you, and as you sow, so shall you reap!

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm taking my "blog" break at the end of a heavy internet day in my online studies, and reading this so refreshed me. Thank you - you are a very inspirational person! My mother is in a nursing home and your thoughts reflect much of what I ponder when I go to see her.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Thankyou Julie, I can relate to that as well as my Father is in a nursing home and far from where I live.

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home