Wednesday, June 22, 2005

dancing in our minds

Today at work there was a celebration for all the residents that have birthdays in June. There is always cake and icecream and a band comes in to play music...real oldtimers themselves! I enjoy this party, it's at the end of my shift and I can sit and visit and just have fun with the residents. I was helping an old woman eat her cake ( which she was loving) and I was watching her fingers tapping to the music. She hasn't walked in years. So I took her hands in mine and we slowly swung them back and forth together like we were dancing the two-step. She instantly picked up the rhythm and it was as though she was dancing. Just from her movements I could tell she had done this dance many times before and knew it well. Her eyes lit up and she was lost in the motion. What must it be like to hear those songs of their youth from 60 or 70 years ago? Beautiful I hope. And then I thought what will I be listening to? Somehow the rock and roll that I grew up with doesn't really seem to fit the picture!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Just Me said...

you will probably be dancing in your memories to the beautiful music of ottmar liebert because that is the music that will continue to fill your soul even after your legs no longer work but your rhythm is still alive.

such a wonderful image you painted.

5:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home